Monday, July 23, 2012

Walk the Line

 




     Number lines were the only things to help me to visually understand adding and subtracting negative numbers.  I had no problem remembering that a negative, times a negative equaled a positive, but adding and subtracting negatives haunted me.  Sometimes it’s the way things are worded in math that get me.  For example, subtracting by adding the opposite leaves my brain in a pretzel and frustration begins to build.  A number line with negative on one side and positive on the other makes perfect sense visually and mentally to me.
     I used to picture myself walking on the number line like a balance beam going forward for positive and backward for negative depending on the problem I was solving.  Looking back I now see what a great manipulative number lines can be for students.  If they can eventually picture it in their head, they can move away from using the manipulative all together.  I think this would be extremely helpful with younger students and Special Ed. Students.  I have seen rulers used in the Special Ed room I was observing for teaching the concept of adding and subtracting without negatives.
     I love when my thoughts or memories turn into inspiration for teaching my future students.  I think I have mentioned in every blog that I struggled in math and still do. But, it motivates me to keep learning and keep searching for resources and tools, like the number line, to effectively teach every student the math concepts they need to be successful in school and life. 

Here is a website that offers an interactive number line-Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment