Monday, July 2, 2012

Estimation & Math-What Are We Thinking?



     If a math problem has one correct answer,  how do estimating and rounding fit into math? I know I would have had much better grades in math if I could have given an answer that was near the correct answer!  This caused me to really think about the purpose of learning the concept of rounding and estimating. I reflected back to one of the many painful days in math class when I asked my professor the million dollar question, When will I ever use this in real life?  He told me that many math concepts are intended to teach us how to think and reason, and problem solve, not to be able to solve math problems for the rest of our lives.  This made sense to me and  I think that estimating and rounding does just that.  While it does not provide an accurate answer, it allows you to consider place value and understand what you are doing mathematically.  It teaches you to think inductively and deductively, if I know this than I can figure out that.  It also teaches you to use the process of elimination which has come in handy during multiple choice math tests and checking your answers without technology.  The point is, a math problem may have one accurate answer, but is has multiple solutions, thank goodness.

    I found a lot of videos that showed fun rhymes or raps about remembering how to round and I think they are nice additional tools to use for studying, but they don't teach what is happening mathematically.   This video uses Base Ten blocks to show the process of rounding.



     So, if math concepts such as estimation and rounding teaches us how to think, reason, and problem solve,  I guess the answer to the million dollar question is, every day for the rest of your life!





No comments:

Post a Comment